How to Catch White Crappie?
White CrappieWhite Crappie are freshwater species and often form schools and feed early in the morning.
When to Fish for White Crappie?
- You can fish for White Crappie year-around, but the best time to fish for White Crappie is in May and June when mature White Crappie migrate into shallow areas prior to spawning.
Where to Fish for White Crappie?
- White Crappie can be found in lakes, ponds, sloughs, backwaters pools and streams and like to be near cover to be protected from predators.
- White Crappie prefer cover, such as such as vegetation, brush piles, fallen trees or boulders and usually hang out here in the spring.
- Later in the year White Crappie will congregate in deeper waters except during dawn and dusk when they move toward shore to feed.
- White Crappie often form schools in clear water among vegetation over mud or sand.
Best Tackle Gear to Catch White Crappie?
- Rod & Reel: Light spinning rod and reel
- Fishing Line: Four-six-pound test monofilament line will work fine
- Hooks: No. 6 to No. 10 range, with long shanks are best as it's easier to unhook from a fish’s mouth
- Bobbers & Split Shots: attach to the line about a foot above the hook and below the bobber.
Best Bait and Lures to Catch WHite Crappie?
When the water temps hits around 50 degrees, White Crappie will move to shallower water and feed until the water gets closer to 60, when they’ll start spawning.
White Crappie will eat just about any kind of bait that you can throw at them. However, we all know, just like us, fish can be finicky some baits works better on different days. If one color, bait or lure doesn't work, switch it up to something else.
Here's some White Crappie fishing bait and Lure tips:
- If the water’s clear, try and use a natural-color and mimic what the fish are feeding on.
- On bright and sunny days use can use any color you feel like, but the brighter colors works better (chartreuse, yellow, electric pink)
- Darker water use a bright color and something that will reflect light
- Cloudy overcast skies you can go darker but at some color or a reflector (Chartreuse or pink tail, bright spinner)