Lake Lahontan is a 17 mile long and 2.5 mile wide reservoir on the Carson River in northwest Nevada that covers 10,600 acres, has a maximum depth of 85 feet near the dam and has 65 miles of shoreline when the lake is full. There is a boat launch ramp at Lahontan State Recreation Area.
Lahontan Reservoir Photos
Highly Recommended Bait, Tackle & Gear
The best fishing bait to use at Lahontan Reservoir Lake includes:
- Walleye: Jigs and nightcrawlers trolled in a harness behind flashers and live minnows.
- White Bass: Spinners, spoons, crank baits and live minnows. Can be found along the sandy beaches throughout the day, but night is preferred.
- Catfish: Fishing off the booton of the lake, using Nightcrawlers, dead minnows, chicken liver works pretty good.
Directions to Lahontan Reservoir
16799 Lahontan Dam Road, Fallon, NV 89406
Lahontan Reservoir Lake is approximately 50 miles southeast of the Reno/Sparks area.
To drive to Lahontan Reservoir Lake, you'll want to take the following directions.
- Drive on Interstate 80 for 35 miles heading East from Reno.
- Next, exit at Fernley onto Highway 50 for 20 miles.
- Then turnoff to Lahontan Reservoir heading South for another 8 miles
- This will guide you to the will get you to the north Lahontan Reservoir State Park entrance.